Skip to main content

Why he Plays: Nick Szczerba


He knew the transition from high school soccer to college soccer would be hard, but he didn’t realize how hard it would be until he got to college and the idea of quitting entered his head.

But as soon as that thought came, it left. Because no matter how many bad practices he had, the thought of ending his career before he physically had to was something Nick Szczerba couldn’t imagine.

“I just feel like it’s part of who I am,” Szczerba said. “I knew I loved it so much for so many years that if I ever did quit or stopped playing before I physically couldn’t anymore I would just come back to regret it.”

Soccer has always been in Szczerba’s blood. He went to his first game when he was only two weeks old, started playing with a small ball in the living room with his dad when he was two and played in the backyard with his older brother and sister when he was three.

“A lot of what I can remember is me and my dad playing in the living room with a really small ball,” Szczerba said.  “Even though it was fun it helped a lot with my early footwork.”

While those were the first times he was exposed to the sport, his first memory on a soccer field came when he was four years old. He became too big for the living room, so his parents signed him up for pee-wee soccer.

According to Szczerba, the coaches didn’t tell the players much except to run around the field around the ball. So his first memory isn’t kicking a game winning goal, in fact, it doesn’t even involve touching the ball, he remembers running around the field and having that same feeling of freedom that he has when he steps on the field today, fifteen years later.

He remembers running around the field and having that same feeling of freedom that he has when he steps on the field today, fifteen years later.
Two years later, Szczerba stepped on the field again, this time he was playing the league for six-year-olds. At the time, they played six versus six on the field, but only Szczerba and one other of his teammates showed up. They didn’t cancel the game, instead he and his teammate took on the other team, two versus five.

The final score wasn’t fair for Szczerba and his teammate, they won by over ten goals; Szczerba scored over half of them. That was the moment his dad knew soccer was his sport, a couple years later, Szczerba also had that realization. 

“When I was six and eight years old I just had so much more fun with soccer than I did with my other sports,” Szcerba said. “It felt like it came more naturally to me, it was obviously a lot of fun and at the time I was better than a lot of kids, so I just felt like it was my sport to play.”


That feeling followed him the rest of the way through league soccer and into travel and varsity soccer. His junior year in high school, Szczerba stepped on to the field with his DuBois Central Catholic, the same team he was watching and ball boying for ten years earlier, to take on rivals Brockway Area High School in the district semi-final game.


The Rovers tied to the game with 15 minutes left to play, it was do or die for Szczerba and the Cardinals. DCC would either win and move on or lose and their season would be over.

Just like he did years earlier when he was playing in U6 and taking on teams practicually by himself, Szczerba took the ball down the field. Moments later, he found the goal.

“I will never forget that moment,” Szczerba said. “I couldn’t hear anything, I was in my own world. I was way too in the moment, other than my teammates I didn’t hear anybody.”

DCC went on to win the game and make its first appearance in the District 9 championship game in years. Szczerba’s father still says to this day that was his best game ever, that's part of the reason why the win is one of Szczerba's memories. 

“My parents definitely keep me going and playing,” Szczeba said. “They never put any pressure on me to play and they always wanted me to play for fun. They are a big reason of why I’m at where I am today.”

Whatever is going on in life or school, soccer is always an escape
Szczerba is currently playing Division III soccer for Misericordia University where he ranked second in freshmen with the most playing time this past year. But the minutes recorded in the books don’t show what Szczerba went through, how close he came to quitting and why he chose to continue to play.

“it was looking back on all the good memories over the years,” Szczerba said. “Just because there were a couple of practices and a couple months of not your best soccer doesn’t mean you should stop forever. It’s just something I had to get over.”

But it is more than the memories that have kept Szczerba going over the past fifteen years, it’s the freedom he feels when he steps on the field with nothing but a ball and a goal, the same freedom he felt twelve years earlier.

“It relives a lot of my pressure and it gives me freedom,” Szczerba said. “Whatever is going on in life or school, soccer is always an escape.”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why He Coaches: Andrew Janocko

Nestled in Central Pennsylvania right off of Interstate-80, 40 miles northeast of Penn State University, seven-year-old Andrew Janocko stood beside his father on the sidelines of Clearfield High School’s Bison Stadium, mimicking his every move and getting involved in every play he could. Twenty-two years later, Janocko is still mimicking his father’s coaching style, except he is no longer standing beside him on the sidelines of Bison Stadium. Instead, he is working with Tony Sparano on the sidelines of U.S. Bank Stadium as the assistant offensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings. “My dad’s my hero,” Janocko said. “He’s the type of person and type of coach I always aspire to be. There’s no coincidence that watching him is the reason that I coach." There’s no coincidence that watching him is the reason that I coach. Janocko got his start as a graduate assistant at Rutgers University in 2011 under head coach Greg Schiano after graduating from the University o

Why They Play

Behind every athlete, there is a reason. There is a reason why they play the game, why they have dealt with the pain, heartbreak, early morning workouts, lack of a social life and injuries. There is a reason they have lost time with their families and have given up numerous things to play a game. That reason is why they step on the field or court every day and it is something that the fans don't always get to see.  The purpose of this blog is to help tell the athlete’s story and let the fans know the real reason #whytheyplay. If you or someone you know has a reason #whytheyplay and would like to share, please let me know. 

Why She Plays: Chanell Britten

When she was seven years old, Chanell Britten was playing on a soccer team with eleven boys and one other girl. Instead of letting the boys push her around, or using it as an excuse to not play well, Britten used it as motivation to get better. “If they ran, I ran faster,” Britten said. “If they shot the ball, I shot the ball harder. It gave me the motivation to push harder and keep going.” Now, a sophomore at Brockway Area High School, Britten is showing people from all over the area what she and her family saw when she was seven years old playing with the boys. Britten currently has 66 goals in two seasons. She finished her freshman year with a team high 24 goals, including one in the last 20 minutes of the District 9 Championship game. While she usually puts her goals behind her after they happen, Britten remembers that one. After receiving a pass from her teammate, Britten made a move on her defender and was able to take the ball to the 30-yard-line where